Valentine's Day 2015
Behind our Downtown counter, there is an old bottle-cap secured with sticky tack that reads, “To truly live, you have to give”. 5 Pound is rooted in this idea. We believe there is power in kindness. We believe there is kindness in giving. And so we give.
With the arrival of Valentine’s Day, our culture begins romanticizing the Hallmark quotes and cellophane wrapped chocolates until this holiday, made for the expression of love, easily turns into a self-centered event. Whether we focus on the gloom of another Valentine’s Day alone, what we should wear to impress our date, what the “hubby” will be treating me to, or what gift we can give that will out-do any Pinterest idea, it’s easy to slip into our idealistic worlds and forget about the fact that we are presented with an opportunity to look outside ourselves. Valentine’s Day is a reminder of love – how we learn to accept it, where we hope to see it grow, and the ways in which we spread it to others!
Our team at 5 Pound Apparel wants to encourage you to spread some love this February by giving back in your own way. And you don’t need a storefront to do so! Random acts of kindness are an easy and fun way to prove that it is truly the little things in life that matter the most. Here are some simple ways to make someone’s day!
- Bring a coworker a hot cup of coffee
- Help someone load their groceries into their car
- Tip 100% of your restaurant bill
- Offer a genuine compliment to someone who might need one
- ‘Pay It Forward’ at a drive through
- Leave your favorite book in a public place with a note on the inside cover
- Commend an employee to their boss
- Hand out homemade care-kits to the homeless
- Ask someone how are you? Really mean it. And really listen.
- Send anonymous flowers to brighten someone’s
- Tape some change to a payphone
- Give something awesome away for free on Craigslist
- Let someone in a hurry go ahead of you in line
- Deliver a homemade dessert to a neighbor
- Offer to babysit your friend’s children for free
- Share a favorite recipe with a friend
- Forgive yourself for a mistake you’ve made
- Send a thank you card
- Volunteer at a local non-profit
- Intentionally make a new friend
Happy Valentine’s Day from 5 Pound Apparel!
Let’s go spread some love.
- Sharon Clause
“Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu